Monday, October 29, 2007

The end to "NO POOP"

OK.....so Brooklyn is pooping all on her own multiple times during the day, every day!!!!! YEAH!!!! I'm pretty sure the cause was gripe water. I feel like such a terrible mom! When Carter was a few months old we gave him some and he did fine and it helped him lots when he got a belly ache so I didn't think twice when I gave it to Brook. But I should have done some research. We never gave her more than recommended and actually only dipped her suckie in it and if she was screaming for hours on end we'd give her a couple of mls. The ingredients are oil of fennel and sodium bicarbonate. Which there's tons of gripe waters out there and they are actually good if they don't have the sodium bicarbonate! I was reading about sod. bicarobonate and it can cause intestinal problems in young children. It is supposed to balance the PH in the stomach but it can over balance it and cause problems. So caution to EVERYONE!!! I don't want to cause a panic to those of you who have or are using it. Every baby is different and the acidity in every baby's tummy is different, so some can tolerate it and it does no harm while in others it causes problems. SO just know that there is that possibility. As for me we will not be using anymore gripe water ever!!! I wish I would have been more proactive and looked up all ingredients before using them. At least we know now and brook is now back to her normal self. I'm so glad it was something simple like stopping gripe water rather than a kink in her intestine or something else. I'm thankful for the prayers and the holy ghost and for people listening to those promptings. So now that she is pooping I've had to become more prepared like making sure I've got plenty of diapers and an extraset of clothes that fit!!! No more trying to pack light!

No comments: