Sunday, November 12, 2006

Long week, onto the next!


We are now onto a new week. Hopefully it won't be as crazy as the last. Our car still isn't fixed, we have a loaner (Honda Pilot) not bad. The first night after the incident was a little spooky for me but I am now okay with everything and feel safe. Brent and Carter had a 24 hour flu bug on Friday making this weekend real exciting! They are feeling much better.
Today we had quite the experience at church. We got a new calling... we are in the nursery with 24 kids and are supposed to focus all our attention on this little girl who has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy. During the pregnancy this little girl (Kali) started having seizures and when she was born had a stroke. She is 2 years old and really has the mentality of a 3 to 4 month old. This calling will definitely make us grow as we were a little overwhelmed today...me trying to hold Kali, trying to help out with the other crazy kids, Brent trying to help but mostly having to hold Carter because the toys are great for only so long, then he's ready to nurse and sleep. Plus, did I mention that some of the kids are from the Spanish branch and so they don't speak any English. Crying kids that don't understand a word we are saying nor do we understand them. I know some words and phrases so I whipped those out and I think I pretty much puzzled this little girl... she just looked at me like what are you trying to say??? You make no sense!!! So I might be pulling out a Spanish dictionary.
With all the chaos, I really truly realized how thankful I am to have such a healthy smart fiery little boy. I couldn't imagine all the stress that Kali's parents have gone through. Kali is a beautiful little girl who I know is thinking, she just can't express herself. I got her to smile a couple of times and it's amazing what a smile can do. So even though we were a little overwhelmed today with everything and really questioning our skills....I know that I will grow from this calling.
This week I've been making Amish Friendship Bread (takes 10 days) Friday I baked it and oh my goodness!!! It was so good. It made 2 loaves and yah can I say we have a slice or 2 left. Thanks Collette for giving me the starter, now I have gained a few pounds in just the weekend. Oh well who's really counting calories????
Well I better get to bed I think Carter may have an ear infection. He is still trying to cut his eye-teeth and is now crying in the middle of the night and screams when I touch his ears! I guess I'll be making a doctor's visit tomorrow.

2 comments:

.Ang. said...

Mike and I are in the Nursery too!! we are having a heck of a time getting into the groove. The People that were in Nursery before us didn't do any lessons or anything. They just let the kids go nuts the whole time until they would all get grumpy and get in fights and stuff. It's been a challange getting them to sit for lessons and stories. but it's SOOOOO much fun! by far my favorite calling! It's the most challanging as well. I find when i learn at least one thing about each of their personalities that i just LOVE it makes it so much easier!

We've only got 18-20 kids though! that extra 4 that you have REALLY does make a difference!!! But i know you guys will do GREAT!!

And i sure hope carter is feeling better soon!

Love you guys!
xoxo

.Ang. said...

I also wanted to mention that we have a boy that comes in for about 20 minutes with his aunt every sunday. He's probably about 6 or 7, hes confined to a wheelchair he's got cerebral palsy amongst other ailments. He's can't talk, and he's leagally blind but the spirit that this little boy has with him is AMAZING! His parents read him book of mormon stories all the time and he's very aware of everything going on around him. Just the other week i made the kids head bands that said "i can be honest" i made one for zak and told him what it was and put it on his head. Then his aunt said "you can be honest just like Nephi right" His arms and legs starting going and his eyes just LIT up and a HUGE smile emerged. He is so in tune with the spirit! he can tell when someone enters a room. and althought he's blind knows right where they are and smiles at them as they walk past.

I just love having him there! he adds such a nice spirit!

GOOD luck guys! i know you'll have fun with it! It's stressful at times.. but very rewarding!